Bad Poetry and Stupidity go Hand in Hand

shit in verse

more emo shit

People who think they're writers but they're either:

(a) too young and too immature to really have a serious outlook on life or

(b) idiots who think that the shit that spews from their brains is poetry or prose or anything worth sharing

really annoy me.

I think that someone who's 16-20 and has a brain in their head can definitely offer a unique insight to the world that is refreshing and very real (JB and Bethie come to mind), but most just copy what they see and think it's good. The above two blogs are examples of that "I'm different just like everybody else" stupidity and ignorance that I absolutely hate.

4 Thoughts:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's funny, you really made no critique of anything I have said or written, and you really made no reason for your points to be valid. They were actually quite baseless. That's too bad.
I'm always open to opinions and to be critiqued by an unbiased source would be grand - but instead you simply made some generic comment with the word 'emo' slipped in. Which is pretty fucking stupid, considering what emo is and means. But like you said, people are fucking idiots, and idiots often throw around words without even knowing what they're saying or what they mean.

In the future, instead of just trying to make some snarky comment, expecting it to mean something, why not actually make some sort of sensible critique that isn't based on absolutely nothing?

A) I am now 20. At 17, I was teaching my 80 year old grandmother new ways of looking at the world. I had to write under a pen name because people did not believe my philosophies could be coming from someone without years to their name.

B) I've read a lot of poetry, I've read a lot of prose. I know what is and is not. I share my writing with those that care to read it. If you do not consider it worth your time, don't waste your time writing it - or critique in such a way as to make it better.

C) I do not copy anything. I have nothing to copy from. I do not associate much with other writers, I am not a part of any subgroup from which I could copy. The poetry I read is mostly very old poetry (anywhere from anglo-saxony to the early 20th century) and my writing style nor my subject matter are neither one influenced by what I read. Because of how I was raised, I developed my own writing style without outward influences. If it happens to be like something else you've read, ah well. It can't be helped.

D) I do not think I am any different from anyone. I do not try to be different from anyone. It is not one of my goals, it never has been. I write the thoughts and movies in my mind, and that's all. It has nothing to do with being different.

The things you have said hold no bearing on anything at all about me. I'm not 'emo' (do your homework), I'm far from ignorant, I have nothing to copy from, and the 'two blogs' are just updated URLs of one another.
I do not think I'm a writer. I write, therefor am a writer.
You can't blog worth a shit, yet you blog and are therefor a blogger. I'm not going to pretend you're not simply because I think you're an arrogant ass.

In summation, at least actually critique the bits about me that do suck, instead of making up bullshit about emo and me trying to be different - things that do not actually even exist. Straw men are very lame ways to jab at others.

9/17/2005 1:47 PM  
Blogger Avitable said...

Go listen to the Shins and paint your nails black, k?

Thanks.

9/17/2005 2:04 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

So I'm guessing you're one of those guys that's like, I'm all funny and shit, you know, but then you're also like, I don't care about what anyone else thinks, I'm funny, but like, that's also funny, you know, but like, if you think about it, it's actually kind of retarded, so... I dunno. :\

9/18/2005 4:39 PM  
Blogger Avitable said...

That's not quite as retarded as having several blogs all under different aliases, there, Steven.

I post my blog for me. I can do with it what I will. If I want to tell someone to fuck off and go play in traffic, I will.

Oh yeah - Go play in traffic.

9/18/2005 5:05 PM  

|

<< Home