What I'm reading today

Survivor, by Chuck Pahalniuk

Self-made, self-ruined mogul-messiah Tender Branson, the sole passenger of a jet moments away from slamming first into the Australian outback and then into oblivion tells his life story, from its Amish-on-acid cult beginnings to its televangelist-huckster end. All of this courtesy of the plane's flight recorder.

Chuck's books are good. Fight Club was good, and David Fincher did an amazing job in making it come to life. Choke was even better, and so far, I think Survivor is better than both of them. If you like nihilist fiction that has a gritty realism combined with a hint of unreality at the same time, this is for you. Sometimes, when I read his books, I feel like they're Martha Stewart on crack. He has statistics, and little bits of folklore and farmer's almanac stuff and housekeeping secrets just thrown throughout the entire book.

You should read this book.

2 Thoughts:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sometimes, when I read his books, I feel like they're Martha Stewart on crack. He has statistics, and little bits of folklore and farmer's almanac stuff and housekeeping secrets just thrown throughout the entire book."

LMAO - "Martha Stewart on crack", I've gotta remember that one.

I've read "Survivor", "Choke" and "Lullaby" (haven't yet read "Fight Club") but I have to say I enjoyed "Choke" a lot more... :P

10/23/2004 9:19 AM  
Blogger Avitable said...

Choke was good, but the whole bowel obstruction thing was a little annoying.

10/23/2004 9:33 AM  

|

<< Home