Goodies

Saw this at Dave's and Tracy's.

THE BOOK MEME!

Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror? I enjoy all three in certain doses. I find fantasy to be the most obnoxious genre, and scifi can get old quickly, but when they're good, they're really good.

Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback? I prefer Hardcovers. Except a 400+ page book really makes my legs fall asleep when I read it on the throne.

Amazon or Brick and Mortar? Amazon.com all the way. I order from them a few times a month. Since I buy books based on authors, I'm not much of a browser, so bookstores hold no appeal.

Barnes & Noble or Borders? If I had to choose, probably B&N.

Hitchhiker or Discworld? Douglas Adams all the way. I've never laughed so hard reading a series.

Bookmark or Dogear? I don't borrow books - I only buy them, so I dogear pages. It's my fucking book. If it's a hardcover with a jacket, I'll use the jacket as a bookmark.

Asimov’s Science Fiction or Fantasy & Science Fiction? Neither.

Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title, or random? Alphabetize by author, then by title among the same author. At least, that's my desire. It ends up just being a random stack unless I'm very diligent.

Keep, Throw Away or Sell? I'd never throw away a book, and I'd only sell a bad book. Everything else I keep.

Keep dust-jacket or toss it? Why would you throw it away? Unless you're a fucking retard, that is.

Read with dustjacket or remove it? I use it as a bookmark, so definitely leave it on.

Short story or novel? I love novels and short stories, but I can only read short stories when they're in collections. By themselves, they don't give enough satisfaction.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? I find the Harry Potter books to be a bit predictable, but I enjoy them. They're definitely better than the movies. I haven't yet read the Lemony Snicket books.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? If I'm tired, I read until the next chapter break. Unless it's really good, and then I turn on my speed reading ability and finish the book at lightning speed.

"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time?" Who thinks up these stupid fucking questions?

Buy or Borrow? When I was a kid, I'd take out 50 books every two weeks from the library. Now I buy, because I like to add to my personal library.

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse? Well, I'll get a recommendation from someone whose opinion I trust on an author. I'll try one book by that author, and if it's good, I'll buy every book ever written by that person and then read them all in order. I've got a nice list of authors now and whenever they have a new book out, I'm always on the pre-order list on Amazon for it.

Lewis or Tolkien? CS Lewis, all the way. The Narnia books were great as a kid and just as great as an adult. Tolkien, on the other hand, was pompous and overblown and I've never read such tripe in my life. I think Peter Jackson's a fucking hack, too, just in case you were wondering.

Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)? Depends on the subject matter. There are some Hellboy anthologies that I like because you get to see different perspectives on a character I like, and then there are collections by my favorite authors that I absolutely love.

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger? I don't think a book should really have a cliffhanger, except in cases like the Dark Tower series or Harry Potter - a set number of books with a definite ending. The Alex Cross novels that Dave mentioned by James Patterson pissed me off with a cliffhanger ending where one didn't belong.

Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading? Whenever I have time and I'm not killing someone, eating, showering, masturbating, or working.

Standalone or Series? Series. I love a good character, and if a writer can maintain the momentum and keep proper characterization, it's like a TV series. Some of my favorites (some are no longer being written) are Spenser (and Hawk) (Robert B. Parker), Lucas Davenport (John Sandford), Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich), Will Lee (Stuart Woods), Roland (Stephen King), Myron Bolitar (Harlan Coben), the Precinct (Ed McBain), Archy McNally (Lawrence Sanders), Fletch (Gregory MacDonald), Captain Edward X. Delaney (Lawrence Sanders), Jack Ryan (Tom Clancy), Lestat (Anne Rice), Elvis Cole (Robert Crais), Anita Blake (Laurell K. Hamilton), and Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler)

New or used? Definitely new - that new book smell and the crack of the spine are favorite sensations.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? Blood of the Lamb, by Thomas Monteleone. A priest in New York finds out that he's actually a clone of Jesus's blood from the Shroud of Turin and slowly becomes the Antichrist. Great read, although I just ruined the ending for you. It's still worth reading, though.

Top 5 favorite genre books of all time? I don't know what this means. I read all different genres, and trying to choose five among them would be very difficult.

Favorite genre series? I'll have to just pick my favorite series, and I'll go with the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. The Vampire Chronicles would be a close second, as long as I stop counting any books past Memnoch.

Currently Reading? I'm reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Thanks to Miss Misery for the recommendation and to Beth for buying it for me for my birthday!

And for those of you Neanderthals who don't read books, here are two little tidbits for you to tide you over during the weekend:

1. Naked picture of Jennifer Aniston from her most recent movie. It has been proven to be real because she's suing Perez Hilton for posting it.

2. Video of a woman pleasuring a horse.

Enjoy!